It’s said that necessity is the mother of invention. The statement certainly rings true in the history of Dexion, the brainchild of Demetrius Comino.
Acquisition & Growth
Dexion is a prominent member of Gonvarri Material Handling, a family of brands that originated in 1856. Dexion was created in 1937 by Demetrius Comino, a 50-year-old Greek-Australian, who introduced the world to adjustable storage solutions.
Dexion (from the Ancient Greek meaning ‘Right’) was originally forged from Comino’s hunger for efficiency in his printing business—specifically, the need for paper and type storage racks that could be quickly and easily dismantled and reused.
Comino’s persistence and tenacity paid off. By 1947 he had developed the ‘Dexion Slotted-Angle’, a framing material that was, weight-for-weight, stronger than wood, and could be stored in a fraction of the space needed for wooden timbers. The first adjustable storage system had arrived, and it blazed the trail for Dexion’s purpose-built pallet racking and shelving systems.
Dexion quickly became the benchmark for innovation and marked many outstanding milestones:
- 1956 Slotted-Angle used to build Olympic Stadium
- 1957 1st Mobile Pallet Racking installation
- 1963 ‘Dexiongrad’ built to support the Yugoslavia earthquake relief
- 1970 Production of Steel Shelving begins
- 1980 1st Paternoster installed
- 1999 Dexion is acquired by Constructor Group and the P90 system is launched
- 2000 Hi280 system launched
- 2003 1st Tornado automatic storage installed
- 2011 Cantilever range launched
- 2014 P90+ system launched
It is a testament to those early pioneers that these systems are still much in demand today.
In 2018, Gonvarri acquired the Constructor Group, which included Dexion and other companies specializing in pallet racking, shelving systems, pull-out units, cantilevers and mezzanines, and mobile solutions.